Thursday, June 26, 2008

From Time to Time

I will be leaving Palmer in less than a week. Sometimes I am excited, sometimes sad, sometimes sleepy. Primarily though, I am looking forward to a change of pace. As much as I might like to write that I will be drinking a coconut-themed drink on a beach in South America, that dream will have to wait. Instead, I will be joining the ranks of proud Marine Technicians aboard the Laurence M. Gould, the research vessel that brought me down here. Besides shuttling people to and from Palmer Station, the LMG primarily does science along the Antarctic peninsula. It is big and orange and a lot like the Belafonte from the Life Aquatic. Except without the hot tub or observation bubble. And they don't carry Glocks, that I know of.


As for the specific duties of my job to be, I can't say for sure. 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week while at sea (I think). From my experience on the fishing cruises last month, I know I will help casting out the nets that scientists use to troll for fish. Cast and haul, sort through the fish, putting the special ones into tanks. I will possibly be taking trips in the two on-board Zodiacs with scientists to get to shallower fishing sites. General maintenance, repairing nets and Zodiacs, recording data from various computers, loading and unloading cargo at Palmer and Punta Arenas. We will basically be cruising along the peninsula and crossing the Drake Passage from time to time.

It's all very exciting, but hard to imagine as I wrap things up here at Palmer. The Boathouse is still busy with occasional boating classes, protecting the boats from fierce winds and working on projects left over from summers long since passed. Yesterday, as I cruised out to Torgersen Island and around Arthur Harbor, I couldn't help but wonder if it would be my last time. Today I will draw my house mouse (weekend clean-up) job, and ponder the same question. Of course I will be back here in a few weeks, but as a visitor. I certainly hope to come back to Palmer again as a member of the community. My last seven months here have been extraordinary. Rather than focusing on a week of lasts, I want this next week to be a reminder to me about appreciating time in a remarkable place with inspired people.

1 comment:

Neal said...

New beginnings are always bittersweet. You'll have a good time on the boat. We'll all look forward to having visits from you whenever it is you show up.