Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The North Shore



At the cabin again. I have been here for a week now painting, thinking and walking around. I have accomplished many things that weren’t on my to-do list but after I did them I put them on it and checked them off since they were so worthwhile. I have discovered a local bar, a cool neighbor to hang out with and today I was fortunate to see a few sled dog teams crossing the Sawbill Trail during the Beargrease Sled Dog race. I have also dialed in where to pick up free internet and take a sauna and shower. Really, it’s absolutely lovely here here. I visit the Lake every day, show it my new tattoo.

I have learned some interesting things since arriving here. The Sawbill Trail is a road nearby that heads due north. People calibrate their compasses by it. There is a dairy on Gunflint Trail that sells dairy products fresh from the udder. Schroeder used to have a whorehouse in the logging days to keep the loggers from going to Duluth to spend all their money. There more is more local trivia, but I’ll leave you with those gems for now. Here are a few photos of the days here on the mystic North Shore.

Waiting for the dog sled team

They arrive!

Bonfire for Beargrease volunteers and spectators

The Temperance River at dusk

Beargrease Volunteer HQ






Tower at the dairy (is this too mundane to post?)

Milkers, I assume

Lumber Mill on the Gunflint Trail

Glorious Lake, looks different every day




1 comment:

c.hasty said...

Eh Adam. Wish I was there. Does your new tattoo disappear when you jump in the lake?