Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Off to Brazil

I can't say I was excited to leave my Buenos Aires life. My lovely balcony, favorite market and all the local sights and sounds I have come to know so well during this last month. But alas, I am on the road and enjoying it immensely. Last week I hopped an overnight bus to Iquazu Falls at the junction of Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay. The seats/beds weren't quite as nice as my first trip, but they served us wine and champagne and the ride was smooth and scenic.

Saying goodbye to Buenos Aires from my balcony.


The bustling bus station of Buenos Aires.



I took an embarassing number of photos at Iguazu Falls, as it is one of the mose stunning sights I have ever seen. The falls can be reached from the two main towns on either side of the falls: Foz do Iguaçu in Brazil and Puerto Iguazú in Argentina. Though time was tight, I was able to see the falls from both. The waterfall system consists of 275 falls along 1.67 miles of the Iguazu River.





On the Brazilian side there is a long walkway along the canyon with an extension to the lower base of the “Garganta del Diablo”.

A rainbow decorates the base of one of the falls.



The rainforest of Iguazu is teeming with wildlife. Between Carla and I, we were able to capture a few shots of some of the more interesting characthers.





If you look closely, there are monkeys in the trees.

After 3 days in the jungle, I set off to Sao Paolo, Brazil to meet with Andrea, my Brazilian sister. I am here now, belly full of churrascaria, and gearing up to visit Andrea's parents in the province, Paraná.


The view of Sao Paulo from Andrea's 14th floor apartment.