Thursday, December 11, 2008

Flying Tomorrow


After a year away, I set off to the US tomorrow. Two solid days of flights will land me in Ithaca, NY, where I will pick up my truck with all of my belongings stuffed into the back and head into the future. For now, however, it is time for great pondering. This trip has been like a dream to me. After Antarctica, a divorce, and a plethora of life decisions, traveling has been a cleansing, perspective inducing experience that has changed and rejuvenated me. I head back into the world, ready and willing. Looking forward.

The last few weeks have been spent primarily on the move. I have traveled from Machu Picchu, westward to the Peruvian coast. South by bus to the floating Uros Islands on Lake Titicaca, made of reeds. And along the Pacific Coast to Chile, the northern beachtowns of Arica and Iquique and finally on to Santiago, where I have spent these last few days, touring the Concha y Toro winery (Casillero del Diablo) and generally enjoying these final travel days with my lovely traveling companion Carla. Awaiting my flight tomorrow morning.

Tying up our boat on the Uros Islands


Luis, my sullen tour guide, at Pacha Papa



Children at my homestay on Isla AmantanĂ­





Isla Taquile


Women walking

Arica, Chilean beach town

Hill in Arica, desert dunes run into the ocean


Arica



Iquique, Chile

Concha y Toro winery





Casillero del Diablo, they say it´s haunted

Goodbye summer sun. Hasta Luego South America.

No comments: